Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Advertising Logic and Realism

The anti-capitalist views of Bogost in his advertising chapter seem to overpower the reality of "space" that is found within many of the video games that I have played.

I think the reason why I enjoy WoW and the nearby Clemson lakes/nature is due to the concept of space - a natural freedom that has been taken from me in real life. I am constantly thrown into advertising...at home, in the car, at work, during my lunch break, when I go to class, when I go home....its just a non-stop stream of bullshit. It's impossible to break away from the Fortune 100 in this country.

So...do I enjoy realism? This is a hard question to pose: are games like WoW and Second Life more "real" than life itself? After spending 15 hours on WoW and SL...I sadly admit yes. I think exploring the caverns, lakes, and forests of WoW are much more real that my commute through HWY 123 each morning. How "real" is a line of 25 fast-food chains with my radio blaring commercials, my logoed-up clothing, driving my gas-guzzling Jeep?

One lecture in my design class focuses on the concept of "space," how natural emptiness and panoramic views of vivid nature are ingrained into human 'reality'. Modern packaging design trends are focusing on the concept of white space and bleeding...where natural and organic textures and images continue through the substrate without border.

Continuing, but on another note...Bogost's "advergames" blow my mind. I knew these existed but had no idea people actually "played" them. The "in game ads" ideas, after some thought, make the game more "life-like"...its nice to know I can continue my daily routine of companies streaming information into my phonological loop in many of the games out there.

No comments: