Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Comments on Values and Aspirations

Since this is a blog, I'm just going to continue my relaxed, unacademic style.

I think Bogost limited his analysis of values and aspirations in this chapter. A heavy focus on consumerism and religion seem to trump the topics, but his point is well made - most all values and aspirations are procedural (within games).

And going back to my usual commentary on real life, I see this as very true. Bogost's opener on schooling and education is on the money - American schooling is just that, mandating obedience, simple understanding, and limiting creativity.

Maybe that is why we are studying videogames. The proceduralness of our daily lives is 'won' when we become the gamer (or destiny controller). We can relate very well.

The Animal Crossing description on p267 is nightmarish. Bring together families via gaming? Instead of spending 5 pages critiquing the mock-consumerism values in the game, why not mention family values? This is the big news to me.

As for as consumerism, are not video-games pure extensions of this? I don't think you can become more self-actualized (or, excuse me, use your self-actualization time) on video games. I don't know the numbers, but I'd say that most games are not for training purposes, they are pure entertainment. Serious they may be, but entertaining they are. Maybe we should ask Mr. Stein, but it may be worth debating between socializing and shopping vs. solitary video-gaming. Both are outlandishly consuming resources - most importantly your time.

No comments: